Wednesday, July 30, 2014

My Great Uncle's Yearbooks -1937

Remember how I said I would share my great uncle's  high school yearbooks?  Well I have three and I'm going to give each one a separate post.  Because the books are not in the best shape and may scanner is weird, I decided not to scan them.

 The first book is from 1937.  My great uncle attended Waukegan High School - which is the same school my mother attended many years later.  It is still open today.   Jack Benny went there but that was before my great uncle so sorry - no pics of a teen aged Jack Benny.
The Cover, the theme for 1937 was Western Ranch
Signatures!  Anyone know when people started writing notes instead of just signing their names?


My great uncle was a freshman - freshmen only got group photos.  He is second from the left, third row up.  It's hard to tell but he wrote "me" and a little arrow pointing to his head.
My great uncle also played football - complete surprise as athletics are so not a family trait these days.  He is the rightmost one, kneeling.
A sampling of the junior class photos.  Everyone looks so spiffy.
One of the things I love to look at is the teaching staff.  It's always interesting to see what classes were offered - along with Math, Home Ec, Latin, Bookkeeping, Office Skills, English, etc . . . was a class called "Clothing" - they even had two teachers who taught it.  I would take that class today.  I bet it taught lots of useful skills - no, I'm not being sarcastic.  I really mean it.
Photos of students goofing around.
Like modern yearbooks the back is full of ads.  Insert obligatory comment about how prices have changed here.

Ephemera! I found what I think is a clipping from the school newspaper.  "Jeep" was apparently my great uncle's nickname.  I have no idea why.  The note seems to indicate he worked for the school paper - but not in 1937 - according to the yearbook.  I tried to hunt down  a photo with Ms. Landis but no luck.  Perhaps we shall find out more in the next two yearbooks.  Or not.  Stay tuned to find out.

No comments: