Thursday, August 07, 2014

This dress is a Marvel

I am looking at the ceiling in an attempt to get you to fall for the old "look at the ceiling gag"

Part of me wants to cosplay every day of a convention but sometimes that just isn't possible.  Also it's want to have something to wear  at other times that both reflects my personal style and shows nerd pride. Having coveted the many different comic/tv show prints at Jo Ann forever I finally decided that I was going to give in and buy some.  I went with The Avengers. 

I didn't know exactly what dress I was going to make with it.  I did know I didn't want the  whole dress to be made of the fabric - I thought it would be overwhelming so I also picked up some red linen/rayon blend that I love (I made a dress in the same fabric last year) and then I went home to go through all my dress patterns.  I finally settled on Vintage Vogue 8728 .

I was a little nervous to work with the pattern as my mom told me she'd had trouble with Vogue patterns in the past.  It was also rated "average" and not "easy" - so that didn't help.   Still after locating some tearaway stabilizer (something I've never heard of/used before) and pre-washing my fabric I dived in.
Kind of boring from the back.

I made the dress over a month ago, so my memories about the construction phase are vague.  Still I don't recall screaming at the sewing machine or bursting into tears so it must have gone well.  I do recall messing up while attaching the skirt to the bodice - that seems to be a thing with me.  But I eventually worked it out.  I  wore it for first day of this year's ACE and it was a huge hit.

Since then I've worn it twice.  Once just because it was Tuesday and these pictures are from the second time when I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy.  I keep saying I'm going to try a different necklace with it but the shield one is just so perfect.  Nobody said anything to me when I went to see the movie but I got a complement on the dress and necklace when I went to get allergy shots - so that was nice.
Attempting to show the necklace and the neckline off better.  Only succeeded at one.

Looking at the dress I wish I'd taken the time to do a strip of red at the bottom of the skirt - of course I can still do that but I probably won't for awhile.  It occurred to me at the time but my new cosplay took priority.  Also I think I will take it down one size if I make the dress again because it's pretty loose in the bodice.  There are instructions for a belt that came with the pattern - maybe some day.  I am fairly certain I will make a hat or some sort of head piece to go with the dress and promise to post pics when I do.
Without the belt.



Outfit Details:
Avengers Dress - Made by me
Belt - Crusin' via a now closed local store
Shield Necklace - Silverthink
Earrings- Classic Hardware
Bracelet - local store
Stockings- Leg Avenue via Sock Dreams
Shoes - Swedish Hasbeens via Zappos.

No comments: