Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Are Diamonds really a girl's best friend?

"Diamonds are a girl's best friend" is one of those songs.   A song that most people view in certain light that I see differently.  Ask around and most people will say it's about a woman professing her love of material possessions.  Or maybe they will say it's about a woman picking money over love.  There are songs about that but when I hear "Diamonds are a girl's best friend" I don't think it is one of them.

If you haven't heard it in awhile  you might want to take a moment to listen:


I like to view this song as advice.  From a more experienced woman to a woman just starting out.  She's telling her to remember that looks fade and men leave.  To not get too swept up in romance because it's not going to keep you fed or a roof over your head.  She isn't saying love is bad or to avoid it.  She's just reminding women to be practical.

When Marilyn sang the song it was 1953.  At the time women were expected to fall in love with and marry a man who would provide her with financial security - in that light this is some revolutionary stuff.   (I am over generalizing here as I know this isn't how things really were - both my grandmothers worked after marriage.  I am referring the fairy tale being marketed to society at large.) Admittedly, the song is being sung by a woman who is having affairs with married men but isn't the advice practical to all women?  Wouldn't it be better to still be able to pay the bills if your husband runs out on you?  I'm not saying money makes it better but it sure makes it easier.   I'd rather be nursing a broken heart with food and shelter.  Am I alone in this?

Yes, love is grand and I'm not trying to knock it.  But I think it's better when love and security don't get all mixed up with each other.   Now I'm not trying to say that it's wrong for a woman to make a choice to raise the kids and keep house while her husband supports her.  In an ideal world we would all have the privilege to make that choice.  I just think all women (and men) are better off when they have the skills or 'diamonds' to make it on their own, should circumstances change. 


So fall in love.  Fall hard.  Get your heart broken.  But make sure you have a 'diamond' or two set aside.  They may not really be "a girl's best friend" but they sure are handy when the rent comes due.

No comments: