Saturday, July 19, 2014

What They're Saying #3

I had a coworker who really admired my sense of style.  One of the things she used to say to me all the time was:

"You're very brave for the way you dress, you know that?"

Usually I'd respond with "I don't think so."  or "No, I'm not."  Not indicating that I'm not brave but that the way I dress has nothing to do with bravery.  Or at least I don't think it makes me brave.
Just a pretty dress or an act of bravery?  Also, OMG! is that a Glee calendar?

I see her perspective though.  It would be hard for her personally to dress the way I do and  so she admires me for that.  I often see people doing things with out a second thought that terrify me and I find them brave - even if they consider what they are doing to just be normal and not at all scary.  Still it's strange to me that someone would call me brave because I feel like it's the exact opposite.  When I put on my dresses, hat, stockings, etc . . . well that makes me feel braver. 

Initially it did take a little nerve to start dressing the way I do now but once I got over that it became something I wanted to do all the time.  Which, admittedly, wasn't always possible in the early days.  But once I put those things on, it was like finding myself again.  Like all the other clothes and attempts to blend had just been me playing pretend.  This was the real deal here.  So to be called "brave" for it gives me pause.  No one ever called someone brave for taking a swig of whiskey before they walked out the door.  I don't want to say my clothes are a crutch but I do believe they help me make it through the day a little easier.  Bonus: they don't destroy my liver.

So, what's the point here?  I suppose that just by being you, you might inspire others.  That one woman's brave is just another woman's normal.  And that I have a hard time accepting compliments.



No comments: