Sunday, March 23, 2014

Peachy Keen

I didn't post last weekend because I was at Sun City Scifi.  I was a volunteer part of the time and a regular old convention goer the rest.  Which brings me to my first outfit post: Death.  I've dressed as Death from Sandman twice before - once for Halloween and once for another convention.  In that time the outfit has evolved from something very close to what she wears in the comics to something closer to my everyday wear.  I am a newbie to cosplay but as I get more into it I realize I'm not the sort who strives for accuracy but for recognizably.   Even if I am dressing as someone else I want to be comfortable and have it reflect myself as well as the character. 

Thus, a 1940s Death. 

When available, convention photos must be taken with a TARDIS.
Details:
 parasol - local vintage/costume shop
ankh necklace - Seller on Amazon, similar here
dress - Target
gloves - Claire's, I think
purse - vintage
Not pictured: stockings from What Katie Did and torturous shoes that were too small and got tossed as soon as I got home. (note: these were also badly worn and in no shape to donate)

As cosplays go this is still a work in progress.  I want to sew a black dress from a 1940s pattern and I obviously need to replace the shoes.  Also, I'm still figuring out the make up.  Except for the lipstick.  It's Styletto from Lime Crime and miles better than the kind you can pick up around Halloween.  I'm trying to think of ways to wear it in a non Death capacity.

And for those who have no idea who Death is, a link.

No comments: