Sunday, March 30, 2014

Knitting



Knitting is something I learned the basics of from my mom when I was six or seven.  For years I'd do it for a bit and then lose interest.  I only knew the knit stitch and how to cast on and bind off so that was probably part of it.  Post college it took me three and a half months to find a job ( miracle, I know) and in between the job hunt I had some time on my hands and I decided it was time to learn to purl.  That was my downfall.



One of the reasons I love knitting is one of the reasons I love dressing like it's 1938 (or '28 0r '48, etc . . .).   It's a way of connecting with and better understanding the past.  Not just in a "people used to knit more" way but in a personal way.  I never met my paternal grandmother.   In fact I think I've only seen pictures of her once - though I am told I look like her.  I do know some about her, including the fact she was a master seamstress and an excellent knitter.  I can't ever get to know her personally but I like the idea that the simple act of putting one loop of yarn through another is something else that we share.

I just finished Dinah's Lacy Jumper from A Stitch in Time Vol. 2.  There are only six other projects on Ravelry which surprises me since it's a rather cute sweater and the lace pattern is pretty but not complicated. Right now it doesn't have button or button hole, but I may change my mind later.


No comments: