Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Handmade gifts for Christmas 2014

Since most of my crafty/knitting post have been cosplay related lately I decide to share some of the little gifts I made this year.  I set myself the challenge of working only from the stash and I am proud to say I met that challenge.

When it comes to making gifts it can be very time consuming so I like to make sure that what I make is a winner out of the gate.  I prefer knowing someone specifically wants something so when being observant fails I just flat out ask.  That was the case with my brother this year.  He told me he wanted little Jawa named Blizz.    I found a few crochet patterns but none knitted ( Please know I don't hate crochet I just can't do it, and yes I've tried) so I had to make this up as I went.  Having knitted plenty of little dolls/animals - it wasn't that hard.  There was some ripping out here and there.  And now I realize he's not wearing a cape.  Oh well, my brother loves it so that's what's important.

Second up is for my dad.  This is the fourth hat I've made him.  It's super boring 2x2 ribbing but sometimes you just want boring.  This yarn was leftover from this sweater.  It seemed a little light so I dug up the Kool aid I have stashed from when I used to dye things with it.  For the hat I used one green packet, two blue packets, and about one third of a grape packet.

Next is a cowl for a friend.  It's leftover sock yarn and done entirely in seed stitch with some little yarn overs here and there.   I wanted something light enough to be worn indoors because I didn't want her to have to remove it every time she goes inside.  Plus, living in southern NM, making it light weight means she can wear it for a much longer time than the few days/weeks a year it's actually cold.

Finally, the one sewn one.  Again, for a friend.  She has just gotten into sewing and was lamenting she couldn't find a big pincushion.  I could have bought her one but I figured I'd try making one instead.  I used this tutorial.  Or rather I read it through once and then had at it.  It's not perfect, but it should do the job.

No comments: