Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Because I needed another beret*


I'd been on the fence about the book Knitting Vintage.  While I am all for reissues of original vintage patterns I sometimes find "Vintage style" patterns not all that interesting.  I found a used copy and looked through it and while some things I will very likely never make there were enough patterns I wanted to make to justify the price tag.  My first project ended up being the Hollywood Style Beret.  I love berets.  They are quick knits that use little yarn.  They are also warm, easy to wear in a variety of ways, and great for packing.  I mean I love fancy vintage toppers but you can cram like a dozen berets in the same space one hat would take up and no worries about crushing anything.  Or at least that's what I tell myself when I cast on for yet another beret.


I used yarn left overs which somewhat limited my color choices so I lucked out in finding two colors so eye searingly bright. 


Related to the business of using leftovers I've come to the conclusion I am not a stasher.  I mean, I have a stash and it's handy and all but I like to shop for yarn and visit my LYS and well having all that yarn around kind of stresses me out.  It's like some sort of to do list hanging over my head and it isn't like I don't have lots of other things to do.  Knitting should be fun, not stress, yanno?  So I am trying to use up what's there.  But even with my tiny stash it might take awhile.  Especially since I have a habit to ripping out whole projects if I no longer use the sweater or hat or whatever. 
I am absolutely certain that I made a few mistakes here and there - sometimes I had a pesky extra stitch but I just added it into the decreases.  I can't see/don't care to notice those mistakes so it looks fine to me.  The lace pattern is super simple and the results look all fancy and impressive.  Which is pretty cool.  I like a challenge.  I also like mindless travel/tv knitting.  Ravelry Link.

*Yeah, not really.

No comments: