Wednesday, August 19, 2015

A tribute to Yvonne Craig

Source

I don't know if I can express how much Batgirl means to me.  (I've been stuck in the planning stages of a Batgirl cosplay for months now.)  Batgirl is strong, beautiful, and kicks butt.  We talk a lot about the pressure on women to be everything but there is something to be said for the idea that a woman doesn't have to give up girly and pretty to follow her dreams.  Or to fight crime.  Batgirl was Nancy Drew in a cape and you know how much I love Nancy Drew.  My first experience with the character was through Yvonne Craig's portrayal of her in the 1960's Batman series.   Okay, the show was outright nuts and very sexist but Batgirl!  Plus there's something to be said for a "spinster" librarian who can solve crimes, kick ass, and keep Batman/Bruce completely in the dark about her secret identity.

Of course there have been other Batgirls in both the comics and movies but Craig was my first.  Her Batgirl gave me something to aspire to.  Someone to look up to.  Sure, she's fiction - but everything is fiction until it's fact.  Craig did her own stunts and gave young girls a role model for almost 50 years now.  Craig may be gone but her legacy will continue with all the women who, thanks to her, grew up knowing they could be their own heroes.

Here's to Craig.  May she and her Batgirl be an inspiration forever.

No comments: