Thursday, September 11, 2014

As Promised


Still figuring out how to show off the costume and the shield at the same time.  Also, still working on that salute.
 So, like it says in the title, as promised.  Here are better pictures of me as Cap.  Complete with updates.  My brother was nice enough to take pics and quite a few of them were in focus!  To be clear -I blame the camera and not him.  I will buy a new camera.   Some day.

Serious face.
 The updated version was a huge hit.  Some dude came over and asked if he could touch my shield - which was a new one.  Yes, I let him.   One of the cosplay ladies complimented my costume and then I later found out she was a judge at the the costume contest - which I didn't enter.  Darn.  Also got a compliment from another pro who was a fab Harley but I forgot to ask for a pic.  What is wrong with me?  Oh yeah, didn't I mention I was a volunteer the first two days?  And was out past midnight both nights?  By Sunday I was exhausted and running on fumes so I blame that for me not being more on the ball about pics.  But I don't mind because my exhaustion and sore feet are proof that the con was a success and since it was the first year that's a huge deal. 

Best of the full length shots. 
 Details on the updates:

The cartridge belt, suspenders, and first aid kit I bought as a set from World War Supply.   I ordered on a Monday and got it Thursday - so I totally recommend.  The set was a little musty when I got it but I just washed it like I wash sweaters (soak and spin in the washer using Eucalan wash) and then shoved it in my ceder chest for about a week and it was fine.  I loved that I didn't have to carry a purse.   The set was pricey but it was cheaper in time, money, and sanity to buy than make.  Besides the "no purse" advantage I think it just makes a costume I already loved even better.
Ooh, I've gone all old timey here.


The gloves are just plain knit fingerless gloves.  So boring and simple I didn't even bother with a pattern.  I used Cascade Yarns Heritage Silk which is a wool silk blend and wonderful to knit with.  The previous gloves were satin and made it awkward to do much of anything with my hands when they were on.  I could have just cut the fingers off the original gloves but I am a knitter and I knew the one's I made would be better.  It was nice to only have to remove my gloves to use the restroom.
My first attempt. 

And finally, the Garrison Cap.  Or Cap's Cap as I couldn't resist calling it.  I used this pattern here.  I had some difficulty printing it correctly so my test square was off (totally my fault).  I adjusted it some and made a cap with fabric leftover from the skirt.  Everyone I showed it to thought it looked good but I found the crown to be too high and the cap itself was super tight so I made some more adjustments to the pattern and cut out another cap (luckily I had enough piping and fabric for another) and it came out huge, so I did a little ripping and cutting and managed to create a hat that fit.  The wings and "A" are just white felt I cut and sewed on by hand.  I still like the wing barrettes but I love my cap.  But you already knew that, right?
Somewhat blurry close up of the wings.

So, is it perfect now?  Is it ever perfect?  No, but I'm very proud of it and pleased that I can be Cap whenever I want.  Or you know, I'm needed.  To lead the Avengers or to take down Hydra.  Or whatever.

I already know who I want to tackle next but I'm having trouble sourcing the right fabric.  I like to make my costumes as good (or better) than regular clothes.  I have several reasons for that: I wear the costumes over and over and they can get a lot of wear and tear over the course of a con,  I do wear some of my costume pieces outside of cosplay,  and, most importantly, life is too short to sew with fabric you don't love.

Anyway, if you're still reading this, my self imposed deadline for that costume is actually Halloween.  Hopefully I'll have something awesome to show then.  If my camera battery doesn't die.  As it does.  Every.  Single.  Halloween.  Or at least the last five.

Another Serious face, my brother was being goofy, but I think it came out good.  Kind of action-y.


No comments: