Sunday, April 20, 2014

I just don't want to end up on Hoarders

Some of my spring/summer sweaters
I have this desire to somehow reduce my wardrobe to the bare minimum.  Just a few pieces that encompass my style and all co-ordinate with one another.  Except that is never realistically going to happen.

Most of the time my style oscillates between the late '30s and '40s (wide legged trousers, simple cotton and rayon dresses, cardigans/sweaters, stockings) and a sort of beatnik/bohemian look (capris, peasant blouses, brightly colored skirts, lots of black, sweaters, and huge jewelry) and maybe if that's where my style always lived I could manage such a thing.  Except some days I feel like a flapper or a sixties minidress, or rockabilly, or maybe a little cabaret.  And that doesn't even cover cosplays.  I'm never going to build some ideal minimalist wardrobe.  Or if I do it's going to be buried among beaded skirts, feather boas, and Han Solo's vest.

Some of my earrings
Of course the irony here is most women from the eras I favor probably didn't have anywhere near half the clothes I own.  I try to think about that every time I have the urge to buy something new.  I also try to mend things before I go tossing them and unravel sweaters I don't wear anymore and knit new ones that I will wear.  But that doesn't always feel like enough.

More Jewelry, this is JUST necklaces and rings
I don't want to be swallowed whole by my wardrobe and accessories but I also don't want to wake up and be without the pieces I need to dress the way I feel on any particular day. 

I'm not whining here, just thinking out loud. I am also not completely well yet so I blame all grammatical errors and fuzzy logic on that.




No comments: